Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

1951 And A Quilt Show

I woke up on Saturday and thought "Hey, shouldn't my local quilt show be coming soon?"   So, I looked on the internet and it started that day.  I'm glad I thought about this as it is interesting to see.  It was crazy busy though and I had my daughter with me so I just casually looked around.  You would be amazed at the amount of people who love fabric and love to quilt.   I was hoping to find some retro print (30's) fabrics for some future top or skirt I want to make but I didn't find anything like this.  I'm sure I'll have to do some internet scoping.  I used to make quilts but haven't made any in a few years but I still love to go and appreciate all the time these ladies (and men) put into their quilts.  Some of these quilts are handmade with the top being all hand appliqued like they did 100 + years ago, this amazes me the time involved in this.

Saturday's Outfit

Scarf -recently aquired with gold painted motif's  $9 ebay
Dress-  1951 Vintage Vertuosa  It's a thin type of rayon.
Shoes - Naturalizer
Bag- Etsy (I believe) got it quite cheap for a lucite bag.
Hair Clip  Orchid- The lovely Jessica nudged me on these. ebay  Love them.
For my pin, I used an odd screw back earring that didn't have a partner it came with a bunch of other misc jewelry.












Painted chiffon scarf




My daughter checking out all the quilts.





See you can find the retro vibe everywhere!  Check out these vintage quilted ladies a local quilter made.  Note to self:  see if I can find this fabric of these ladies.  I'm thinking Michael Miller he always has great vintage ladies fabrics.  Update:  Found it, it is indeed Michael Miller quite an old print 2002 "Glamour Girls" .  Very cute print with cadillacs, poodles, and  vintage ladies.  I think she may have also used another print for the apron ladies.









This quilt was huge!  It had a bunch of 30's reproduction fabrics in it.  It sure inspires me fabric wise on making a cotton top, skirt, or dress.  It truely was a spectacular quilt.  Look at all the stiching details.


































14 comments:

  1. Ahh what an amazing outfit, great accessorizing:) And those quilt works are stunning, GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Michael Miller fabrics! I recently made a dress out of one of his Asian fabrics and am lusting after the tiki ones.

    I have made a few simple block baby quilts, I am far too impatient to make one bigger, even though I'd love to make one for my bed. It's a California King though. The thought of all that fabric is daunting. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big process especially if you want something with character.

      Delete
  3. I really like your outfit!


    Quilting is not really my thing, but my mom is quilting for quite some years now. When she started she did everything by hand, now she is doing almost everything with the sewing machine.

    I love looking at quilts. The colors, the patterns, the fabric, the history. We had once a exposition in the city I used to live, and I was very impressed. There were traditional quilts but also more experimenting quilts. It was very inspiring, even if you're not a quilter yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a fantastic seamstress that I can see why bother with quilting:)

      Delete
  4. I love your ode to the Romances comic. Awesome! Your outfit is gorgeous, you always put things together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quilts! I have a beautiful Hawaiian quilt on my bed in the desert house. I don't have the patience for quilting, but sure do love the art.

    Monica.
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a lot of time just like knitting. I don't really have the focus for it right now but I do appreciate them.

      Delete
  6. Wonderfully lovely, elegant outfit - I adore how the pattern of your dress calls to mind a quilt itself. That's really cool about how you remembered the quilt show (out of the blue?) and then found it out was taking place right then and there (I've had that happen with things occasionally over the years myself, too - you always wonder if your subconscious knew on some level and was just reminding you).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so darn sweet that you and your daughter can dress up for such events together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves it. She wants her own lucite bag. I'll have to hunt for a cheap one.

      Delete
  8. Looks like such a lovely day! You look so elegant as usual. But your daughter...SOOOOO CUTE in her little white gloves!!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the accessories you paired with this piece! Darling!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete